Anyone got emulators working with openelec?

bazzz

Re: Anyone got emulators working with openelec?

Postby bazzz » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:40 pm

Hi all,
Here is an old guide done for Prometheus on the Kodinow forum.The author is Shane McWaine I'm hoping he won't mind me sharing this seeing
it was already published long ago on the forum.This should give you guys an idea of what can be done,now I'm not sure this tutorial still works.

PLEASE READ ALL BEFORE STARTING

I DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG. THIS IS YOUR CHOICE. BUT I ALWAYS RECOMMEND MAKING A BACKUP OF YOUR CONFIG BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING NEW

I am just a user like you. I’m am sharing this, as it has worked for me and it should work for you. If you follow the instructions step-by-step and take your time you will be very pleased with the results.

Things you will need:

1. Download emulator.retroarch file from HERE.

2. A Game Boy Advance game from HERE or you can download them directly by using Freeroms Downloaderfound in Add-on Installer or Total Installer.

3. A hard drive or USB stick.
We’ll show you how to make the proper folder later in tutorial.

4. Go to Programs on device and you should see ROM COLLECTION BROWSER (if not can find in XBMC.orgrepo and install).

5. Download Putty for Windows HERE or Terminal on Mac (already on Mac, no need to download).

6. You also need to tweak a setting in Prometheus. Go to Settings – Appearance – File Lists and turn on Show Hidden Files and Directories (See Below)
GUIDE

Go to Settings – Add-ons – Install from Zip and install the zip file you downloaded in #1 above.

Open Putty and log in with your devices IP address. Username is root and password is openelec

Type in the following lines and click enter after each (or copy and paste):

chmod +x /storage/.xbmc/addons/emulator.retroarch/bin/*

ls -l /storage/.xbmc/addons/emulator.retroarch/bin

/storage/.xbmc/addons/emulator.retroarch/bin/retroarch –config /storage/.xbmc/addons/emulator.retroarch/config/retroarch.cfg –menu

Ignore the warnings

On your TV you should see a new screen. Scroll down to Settings and click X on your keyboard. Scroll down to Config Save on Exit and click X to change to On. Click Z to go back one screen and then scroll to Quit Retroarch and click X. Then close Putty.

Go to Programs – Rom Collection Browser and click Yes when prompted to create new one.

CLICK ON SCRAPE GAME INFO AND ARTWORK ONLINE

STORAGE

XBMC

ADDONS

EMULATOR.RETROARCH

BIN

RETROARCH.SH

An Emulator Params keyboard will pop up and it will say: “%ROM%”

**Find the right one for your game from: http://sourceforge.net/p/zaggxbmcaddons ... re%20List/

For this time type: vba_next ” %ROM%” for Game Boy Advanced (make sure there is a space between next and “)

Click done and find the path to your ROMs on your hard drive or usb on next screen. Click ok and a new keyboard will pop up asking for the File Mask

For game boy advanced type: *.zip,*.gba or whatever applies to file extension.

Takes you to a screen that says Game Boy Advance Artwork

Find the Drive you have your files on and go to the appropriate folder.

You will be asked if you want to add more collections here but for now choose no. You can add more later.

WHEN PROMPTED CLICK IMPORT GAMES AND THEY WILL LOAD.

Now you are good to go. All games will be found within Programs – Rom Collection Browser.

You can use your keyboard to play.

To exit the game just click Esc on keyboard and it will take you back out to main screen.

Adding a Controller (eg PS3 controller)

Plug in controller then putty into Prometheus and type the following

/storage/.xbmc/addons/emulator.retroarch/bin/retroarch-joyconfig

You will be prompted to click various buttons on the remote in order to customize it.

Freeroms Downloader

Go to Programs – Freeroms Downloader and click C to bring up Context Menu and go to Add-on Settings and set the download path and click OK

Go to Programs – Freeroms Download and click it go to Super Nintendo and find the games you want to download.

Setting Folders On Hard drive or USB

You need to make 2 folders for each category. First folder is Game Boy Advanced and then inside that folder make one called GBA ROMS then you will be good to go. Slide the ROM into the GBA ROMS folder. If you are using Super Nintendo Games, the first folder will be SNES and the one inside will be SNES ROMS, and so on.

Once again, I'd like to say a HUGE thank you to Shane for this brilliant guide!

Bob

Postby Bob » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:26 am

Hi, I have tried to use this guide previously, the stuff you need to put into putty is "xbmc" and it didn't work so I changed all the "xbmc" text to kodi, didn't work either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:32 pm

Ah man so no good guys ?

bazzz

Postby bazzz » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:03 pm

I'm sure it's possible to get it working,I just don't have the time to even try at the moment.You can look into running retroarch(the full 1.2.2 version) and this super addon(still being tweaked) IARLHERE....

Now I can tell you that version of Retroarch works great on OpenELEC 5.0.8 and if you can't get IARL configured correctly......It also works as a great source for downloading the ROMS to run in Retroarch as a standalone for all Emulators.

Now I currently don't have time to explain further or work out different bugs.But if you are going to mess around with this stuff make a backup of your current setup and save it externally for safe keeping.Also if you have a PS4 or Xbox One controller plug it in via USB it's easier to controll RetroArch with and figure out the buttons.Sorry I can't go further into this right now,but it's deffo do-able and you can play these on your Kodi/OE setup.

Lol sorry for the head turning picture :o

Bob

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:01 pm

It's great to know that it can be done! I had a tinker with retroarch and found it a bit hard to work out. I find most of the kodi add ons, programs etc are all very user friendly and think retroarch is maybe a bit beyond the basic user. I had roms in a USB and was trying to get them to run using that but it was having none of it!

I appreciate if you are a busy lad you don't have a lot of spare time etc but I don't think I'm alone in saying I'd appreciate a walk through of how to get this working, or a video even.

I have found that the people that can work it out and have attempted guides have not been very clear.... I seen a guy that said he just side loaded it, I have never side loaded anything in my life!!!

A clear guide would be ideal

I think it's a much under used and much under valued function of kodi!

Thanks in advance for creating a guide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “EMULATORS”